Monday, August 11, 2008

Celebrating Women Painters















In my continual quest for interesting backgrounds, I remembered that a few Christmases ago my mom gave me a lovely book featuring women painters of the 19th and early 20th century from our state. The prints are beautiful, and I also really like them as colorful backgrounds for my latest glass bubble magnets.

There’s some tongue-in-cheek irony here, since I use upcycled images from fairly prosaic sources — here product inserts and grocery coupons for a newspaper ad for dorm room comforters in the Flower Marché magnets (above) and a newspaper ad for dorm room comforters in the Watercolor Pastel magnets (right). Yet these very quotidian 21st-century images felt like they wanted to be paired with their fine art cousins!

1% of the sales price for these items (and all my Etsy sales) donated quarterly to earth-friendly nonprofits.


3 comments:

Jane Grafton said...

Very creative...love your work and your blog!

Start To Finish Supplies said...

Great magnets. Very colorfull and bright!

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Beautiful work as always!